Monday, January 07, 2008

New Years Day Feast



Nori-wrapped salmon, avocado,
and arugula rolls served with
seaweed salad and pickled ginger

Every New Years Day, my family has a feast. It wasn't always this elaborate. When I was younger, I'd come home in the morning and find my parents drinking champagne and eating caviar in the living room (well, it was late morning). I didn't like caviar, but I liked champagne, so I'd join them. Over the years, as I learned to like caviar, they were forced to add other things to combat my more inclusive appetite. Soon we were eating smoked scallops and creme fraiche; after a few years, we added smoked fish, and after taking a sushi class with my mom, raw fish. There was, of course, cheese as well. Last year I tricked my parents (not really, but they still think I did) into both buying cheese, so we had an endless cheese course (an additional meal of its own). Needless to say, as we added more elaborate foodstuffs, the feast was pushed to later in the day, and became an early dinner.

Tuna Poke with Sesame Seeds


Salmon Rolls on Fennel Salad


Tea Smoked Scallops with
creme fraiche and caviar

Smoked Salmon

Four kinds of Caviar

BBQed Unagi

Smoked Trout with
Egg and Potato Salad

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin