Saturday, November 22, 2008

When is a pumpkin edible?




Who knows? I sure don't. This looked edible to me:



It was a bit strange looking inside. The meat was porous and the seeds were an incredible dark green.


crazy technicolor seeds!

So I cleaned it out:


And got it ready for roasting:


But once it was cooked, the flesh was stringy and watery and surrounded by a mold-colored layer. So I called Durst Organic Growers, whose sticker (still) adorned the pumpkin's extremely hard shell. After extended consultation with the grower, I learned that some of their pumpkins are edible, while some are not. Unfortunately, there's no indication on the product sticker as to the product's consumability; I offered him the product number and he said they're all the same.

Based on the texture of the cooked squash, I decided it'd be best to abstain. I tasted it and it wasn't great-- not evil-tasting, but not creamy and delicious pumpkinyness either.

Here's the real question that remains:


Are these golden-green seeds edible?

4 comments:

Maria V. said...

I don't really get the decorative squash thing. Vegetables are for eating! I think as long as the seeds taste good, they are totally fine (wouldn't we know if some kinds of squash were deadly poison?). My advice = buy really cheap kabocha at Koreana. Roast it then make it into soup with onions, garlic, cumin, chili, coriander seeds, black cardamom, a few potatoes for volume and texture and, most importantly, parsnips! They're in my veggie top five.

wanderingbard said...

I think that the seeds are edible - they look like the inside part of regular pumpkin seeds without that white husk. I'm pretty sure all pumpkins are edible in that you can eat them without negative side effects, however, not all pumpkins are created equal and some are tastier than others.

Anonymous said...

i agree with Maria. i think this decorative vegetable thing is total bull. it reminds me of fake smells in an open house or fake antiques, but it's worse, because it is a tease.

it is also higly irresponsible for a business to sell a product and not be in a position to provide consumers with any information regarding its attributes.

this is shocking.

anon.

purplecook said...

Thanks for all the advice! I'll roast the seeds and let you guys know how they turn out. Maria, I love kabocha squash-- that recipe sounds delicious. I really like making squash soup out of butternut or acorn; soup was the plan for this pumpkin, which I got as a present a few months ago (and only got around to cooking now, since it was so pretty-- I suppose that should have told me something).

And yes, stuff you can't eat is stupid.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin